ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bee Schnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Dec 2005 14:31:28 -0500

In regards to Bill's comment about evidence that hands-on education
impacts tests scores:

Here at SMV we have a program that mixes what we hope is the best of the
"hands-on fun stuff" (also known as good teaching methods) with test
taking skills and awareness.  In Virginia, our standards are called "The
Standards of Learning" or "SOLs."  This program, which is now in its 5th
year, is called the SOL Enrichment program and we work primarily with
inner city 5th graders who perform poorly on standardized tests.  The
program is fairly intense with eleven 1 hour visits to each classroom.
We have a very strong correlation over several years of improved test
scores with the schools with which we work.  The schools and teachers
love the program and beg to have it each year.  We have also received
great success with grant funding for this program.  While I can't answer
whether or not everyone will agree that what the VA SOL's test is
"important" to them, it seems to be very important to parents, teachers,
administrators and politicians here in Virginia.

Bee Schnell

Bee Ellis Schnell
Director, Outreach Educational Programs

Science Museum of Virginia