ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Clifford Wagner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Sep 2005 05:52:19 -0400

On Aug 31, 2005, at 4:01 PM, Glen Moore wrote:

> We have an exhibition under construction called 'Changing World'. Your
> material certainly sounds as though it would be of interest! Could I
> receive a copy of your paper?

Sounds like an important exhibit, Glen.  Can we bother you for a brief
synopsis?  Anyone else doing issues exhibits out there?  Please, lets
hear about them.    Do you know about the exhibit  "Massive Change"?
Go check it out on line, Massivechange.com   It opens in Chicago
September 16th at the Chicago Museum of Contemporary Art next, having
been in Vancouver and Toronto so far.  Any science center person worth
their salt within traveling distance should go see it.  There are
things to critique about it- the tone leaves visitors feeling like the
design and implementation of solutions to our major problems is a done
deal- but it gets a whole lot right and is breathtaking in its scope.
It's a highly pertinent exhibit to our time, about science and
technology and it's not being shown at science centers.  Why not?
Here's a partial answer:

© 2004-2005 Massive Change is a project by Bruce Mau Design and the
Institute without Boundaries, commissioned and organized by the
Vancouver Art Gallery.

Hurrah for the Vancouver Art Gallery!

Glen, there is also an exhibit based on Jared Diamond's excellent book
"Collapse- How societies choose to fail or succeed"
http://www.nhm.org/exhibitions/collapse/preview.html

Jared's book is must reading for us all.   As the aftermath of
hurricane Katrina is reminding North America, civilization is a fragile
thing, dependent on so many systems and people working together.  We
are in danger of collapse, most especially here in North America with
our incredibly inefficient vehicles out-eating their food source and
causing global warming to boot.

Folks, we are in an amazing age.  We have more knowledge than ever
before, but we are using up or otherwise not taking care of the
resources we all need to live.  Don't  Science centers have a social
responsibility to cover Science and technology issues central to the
quality of our lives?   So where are we at?  Who's doing what?

Clifford Wagner