ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Wurtak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Sep 2005 14:04:57 -0500
Hello all.  I lead the development of a Water World exhibit a few years ago, and flooring was one of the major issues we had to deal with.  Rubber tiles with drainage holes were found to be expensive and potential breeding grounds for microorganisms.  Spray-on truck bed liner was an option, but in our trials, once wet, it was very slippery. We decided to go with an epoxy floor, containing aluminum oxide particles ("grit")to provide traction.  We created a "berm" out of plywood, smoothed and coated with epoxy, to keep the water confined to the area.  The epoxy was sloped slightly to the lowest spot in the area, where a drain hole was cut through the concrete.  We thought that we could always install rubberized flooring over top if need be (it wasn't needed in the end).

After several years, it still worked well - water was contained; wheelchairs and scooters could drive over the berm; traction was quite good for feet.  The only issue is that kids could get "road rash" if they ran in the area and wiped out (not many incidents of that though).  The area was relatively easy to clean with a hose &/or pressure sprayer.

Some of the pitfalls: the slope was too gradual, and puddles would appear on occasion.  This meant some kids pant cuffs were getting wet.  Very few reports of slippage that I am aware of.  On occasion little ones would want to climb into the colourful water basins, but no major incidents occurred.  I appreciate the hesitancy of some folks to venture into the world of water play, but the responses from both children and adults are very rewarding.  Much imagining, much playing, much learning.  Very worthwhile.

George Wurtak

Winnipeg, Canada