ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Kevin Coffee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Sep 2005 21:29:17 -0400

Interestingly, Science published a paper on just this topic in June.
This is from that journal (on line). The in-line citations are
worthwhile, too.

----------
Science, Vol 308, Issue 5729, 1753-1754 , 17 June 2005
CLIMATE:
Uncertainty in Hurricanes and Global Warming
Kevin Trenberth

The marked increase in land-falling hurricanes in Florida and Japan in
2004 has raised questions about whether global warming is playing a
role. In his Perspective, Trenberth explains that the observational
hurricane record reveals large natural variability from El Niņo and on
multidecadal time scales, and that trends are therefore relatively
small. However, sea surface temperatures are rising and atmospheric
water vapor is increasing. These factors are potentially enhancing
tropical convection, including thunderstorms, and the development of
tropical storms. These changes are expected to increase hurricane
intensity and rainfall, but the effect on hurricane numbers and tracks
remains unclear.

The author is at the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR),
Boulder, CO 80307, USA.

-Kevin