ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Karen Swain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jun 2005 12:38:25 -0400

Wendy Pollock wrote:

The Washington Post carried a story about this incident in Thursday's paper
("Smithsonian Distances Itself from Controversial Film") which appears to
include somewhat updated information

<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/01/AR2005060101986.html>

 From the Washington Post article:
"the film was "reviewed by the Associate Director for Research and
Collections of the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History, and
approval was granted for the film to be screened."

I was under the impression that the Associate Director for Research and
Collections at the Smithsonian was required to have some sort of
scientific background....  How did this get by him, I would like to
know?  Was he even awake during the alleged screening?

"When asked if the Smithsonian had made a mistake in initially agreeing
to host the event, spokesman Randall Kremer says: "We don't look at it
in terms of whether we made a mistake or not. Our statement speaks for
itself.""

What a pathetic disclaimer-- shame on Mr. Kremer!  (And if his statement
speaks for itself, maybe he should just shut up now...)  Of course it
was a mistake, and an embarassment for the Smithsonian-- a black mark on
their credibility, and it isn't going to do the rest of us much good
either.  Very disheartening.

--
Karen Swain
Web Developer