ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Lisa Jo Rudy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Mar 2005 11:53:31 -0500

A sideline of interest re evolution:I managed the process of exhibit
planning for an exhibit on evolution.  The curators are both physical
anthropolists, and they were interested in an exhibit that looks at
questions like -- why are we built such human births have a high
likelihood of killing the mother -- and yet our babies are utterly
helpless without their mothers?  why are we so prone to back troubles?
etc. etc.

In doing a focus group with homeschoolers (who were basically science
geeks, to give you a context) we learned that there are significant
naive misconceptions about evolution.  For example -- since natural
selection selects for the best adapted animal, any animal alive today
must be better adapted than any animal that came before.  Thus.,
logically, humans are far better adapted than dinosaurs.  another
misconception: humans are directly evolved from apes.  thus, logically,
we are "better" than gorillas.  In fact, it's pretty weird that
gorillas exist at all, since we evolved from them -- making them
essentially an outmoded species!

I think these misconceptions are actually taught in the schools,
because teachers largely seemed to share the same misconceptions...

Lisa