HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Lyle E. Browning" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Aug 2007 22:11:31 -0400
What Geoff posted was a rather generalized and relatively simple
issue of recognition of later tree growth, rodent burrows and the
like, all of which any competent excavator would note when digging
and record accordingly. I do think that anyone who cannot recognize
those in the field should not in fact be in the field. When it is a
beginning digger whose lot it is to produce troweled surfaces for
inspection by the Assistant Site Super, or the Site Super or the
Director depending upon site size and personnel numbers, any
competent excavator will recognize them and instruct the person in
the said finer arts of stratigraphic recognition. Intrusions are
noted by sight, feel, or sound. If one cannot see a soil difference,
feel a difference or hear a difference, then in all probability
they're missing entirely. Recognizing them is a sign of competence. I
would note that we poor souls in VA have aeolian deposits as well as
waterborne deposits wherein one operates by grain and artifact
orientation. Even with our color coded laminated soils, some unwary
folks have failed to operate stratigraphically to the detriment of
the site and resultant interpretation.

But taking the extreme position only proves my point. Of course there
are situations wherein intrusive elements cannot be recognized.
Acidic soils will make short work of nearly any organic material,
including entire tree root balls, leaving no visible trace. But,
grain orientation will guide the skillful stratigrapher. Undoubtedly
there are situations wherein a 1910 dime might end up in a Paleo
strata entirely without recognition by anyone of the highest skill
level (assuming non-human non-Loki causation), but these are the
exceptions that prove the rule, as it were, not the norm. Geoff was
asking about the more obvious stuff, not the extremes.

I am in agreement with Paul Courtney's post concerning the  "single
context/harris matrix" summation of stratigraphic excavation from the
British arena. After all, that's archaeology at its most basic:
recognizing one discrete context and its stratigraphic relationship
to any and all contexts that touch it. Recognizing and recording
those relationships is the foundation of interpretation.

Lyle Browning