HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Alasdair Brooks <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 11 Apr 2007 22:44:05 -0500
Following up from my promise yesterday to collate all of the responses I received on the identification of 19th-century Dutch bottle seals...

Broad consensus held that the best source is:

Van de Bossche, Willy
2001 Antique Glass Bottles: Their History and Evolution (1500-1850). Antique Collectors' Club, Woodbridge, Suffolk.

This was described by one respondant as "an excellent and comprehensive reference source with many photographs of dated Dutch seals and Dutch bottles with seals" - though I note that 1850 cut-off may be a little early for the assemblage I'm working with.

While definitely too early for the seals I'm dealing with, the following two linked articles also came highly recommended, and may well be of use to those dealing with earlier Dutch bottles:

McNulty, Robert H.
1971 "Common Beverage Bottles: Their Production, Use, and Forms in Seventeenth and Eighteenth Century Netherlands, Part I". Journal of Glass Studies. Corning Museum of Glass, Corning, New York. Vol. XIII, Pp. 91-127.

1972 Common Beverage Bottles: Their Production, Use, and Forms in Seventeenth and Eighteenth Century Netherlands, Part II". Journal of Glass Studies. Corning Museum of Glass, Corning, New York. Vol. XIV, Pp.141-148.

Finally, also recommended were a series of articles by Dutch gin bottle collector Peter Vermeulen, "who has written several articles on the various Dutch gin manufacturers, and includes fairly comprehensive lists of bottle types and bottle seals used by them. Most of these articles can be found in the publication _Antique Bottle and Glass Collector_. Dates of publications include: January 1995, February 1994, July 1998, July 1994, August 1996, March 1996, August 1997, January 1997, August 1998 and June 2000."

Particular thanks to Mike Will (whom I have quoted several times above) and Allen Vergotsky.

The specific background to the original enquiry is that I'm helping a colleague who is dealing with a site in the Torres Strait Islands between Australia and Papua New Guinea.  While most of the archaeology is pre-European, the colleague wants to include a brief chapter on the surface collection materials related to the late 19th-century mission on the island.  These materials included several Dutch bottle seals, which, while by no means uncommon archaeologically, are tempting to interpret in the light of the relative proximity of the Dutch East Indies.

Within this context, I found the following paper on the use of the presence of European bottles (including Dutch case bottles, one of them made by a manufacturer also present in the Torres Strait site) as a means of interpreting the increasing interaction of indigenous groups with an increasingly globalised European material culture in the later 19th century of some interest:

Pedrotta,
Victoria, and Bagaloni, Vanesa
2005    Looking at Interethnic Relations in the Southern Border Through Glass Remains: The Nineteenth-Century Pampas

Region,
Argentina.  International Journal of Historical Archaeology 9(3): 177-193.

Thanks again to everyone who replied to the original query, and I hope that the above references are of use to the broader Histarch community.

Alasdair