HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Sarah Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Dec 2006 07:28:40 -0800
We (Kentucky Archaeological Survey) systematically
excavated a 1968 time capsule in Lexington at an
elementary school a few years ago.  There was a curse
note sealed in a coke bottle on top saying that our
fingers and toes would become one, scales would grow
all over our bodies, and we would slither around like
snakes on our bellies.  We had a GI Joe, monkeys
collectible cards, bikini, skate board, all kinds of
interesting things.  We worked it into a program with
the present day students and the contents were
reburied with modern additions on top.  Great
questions of who owns the past arose as old students
and parents wanted some things back and one student
retained a lawyer for the whole caboodle!

The project resulted in a paper at the mid Atlantic
conference on recent finds and there was a thread
about a year ago on histarch with some other examples.
 Contact me off list if you would like a copy of the
letter report, mid Atlantic paper, or if anyone wants
to resurrect the recent finds symposium at another
venue- it was great!

Cheers,

Sarah

--- geoff <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Just wondering if anyone knows of any systematic
> studies of time capsules?
> Either archeologically (anybody excavated one?) or
> historically/culturally
> (when did people start hiding them & why)?
>
> Wikipedia says something about the 1939 world's fair
> (and has a couple of
> references), but there seems to have been some
> serious discussion during the
> later half of the 19th century in England about what
> a time capsule should
> contain.

Sarah E. Miller, Public Archaeologist/Director
St. Augustine Public Archaeology Regional Center
Florida Public Archaeology Network
Flagler College
P.O. Box 1027, 74 King Street
St. Augustine, FL  32085-1028