HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Paul Scotton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 2006 05:50:11 -0800
Ron,

I always find it remarkable when people and instituitions
can walk away from opportunity as too being too much
bother.  I have a couple of ideas in mind of individuals
and institutions.  It would seem that it would be best to
keep these drawings in state.  University libraries would
be a good place to start.  You might try contacting
special collections at UCSD.  They or SDSU would be the
natural repository for such things.  I'll be at UCLA this
afternoon for a lecuture and I wll ask colleagues there
what they think.     They have a very active architectural
historian.  Also, this is something the Getty might be
interested in.  They specialize in conversvation.  I have
a friend who is a curator there, I can ask her who you
should approach.  As for me, I teach at CSU Long Beach.
 If neither UCSD nor UCLA nor the Getty show any interest,
I can ask question here.

Flattening the drawings is not expense.  Where the
conservator would come in is to deal with acidic paper.  I
work in Ancient Corinth in Greece and we have drawer after
drawer of old (100 years +) drawings that are holding up
fine.  I suspect it would not be too large of a bill to
preserve and conserve your drawings.

After the lecture today I'm off to the Bay Area to attend
a wedding but contact me again early next week to see if I
have learned anything.

Good luck in hunt.

Paul

Paul D. Scotton
Associate Professor of Classical Archaeology and Classics
Classics
California State University
1250 N. Bellflower Blvd.
Long Beach, CA 90840-2404