HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Stephen Austin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2006 06:24:33 -0800
I missed the earlier(?) question so just flying blind - remember Garmin and Magellan cannot display raster data.  I don't think (last time I used one a few years back - a 76S) Garmin has 7.5 quads available for it (only 150,000?) - and those are only vector.  If your quad level mapping is as out of date as some of ours and not been currently photo corrected - changes to landscape and shorelines could have you a long way from where you think you should be.

   I know it is expensive but any of the current handheld Trimble GPS units (XH, XT, XM) can load gobs of data and layers from an ESRI type platform.  There are some other GPS handheld similar to Timble that are cheaper - some down around $2400.00 bucks that can also load ESRI type data (although not as much).  We have XH and XM Trimbles that have the entire boundary as a line file around four different projects totaling some 400,000 acres, the on the ground boundary corner markers with cap information, shapefiles for cultural sites, raster data for both the quads as well as older and more recent image files so land form changes can be seen, bugs and bunnies data, whatever, and include the data tables as well.  They can't all be on at once but it is possible to have the three or four on at different visibilities so one can find exactly where one is supposed to be.  Of course, the ability to record a big chunk of data while out and about and use the library is a given.

  Now - if you are looking to just navigate from your truck to the general vicinity of something - and then find your way back to the general vicinity of your truck - the any of the Garmin or Magellan products are perfectly capable.

  Stephen

mperdue <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  Apparently, I needed some help in navigating Garmin's site. ;)
I just found their selection of handhelds with optional map
software, so I may have answered my own question. The eTrex
looks nice. Still, any real world advice would be welcome.

Cheers,

Marty Perdue

Sent via the WebMail system at mail.nexet.net

S.P. Austin