HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Gaye Nayton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Sep 2006 13:13:01 +0800
Hi, I'm Gaye Nayton. I run an historical archaeological consultancy in
Western Australia and also work part time as a local government heritage
officer.

Dirtiest moment would have to be excavating a Loco Shed. My assistent and I
were black with coal dust from head to toe, and facing 4 hour drive back to
Perth like that, until the local hotel owner came to visit, took one
horridified look and offered showers at the hotel at the end of fieldwork.
You meet the nicest people when doing archaeology.

In WA its very hot, so hat and sunscreen are essential and good work boots.
Rest varys ocording to how much you are willing to expose to sun, insects
and spiky bush. Good tip though: Ladies NEVER wear a light coloured tee
shirt while sieving the bright red dust of the Northwest, you end up with
VERY distinctive red circles, you can guess where : )