HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Lockhart, Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Sep 2006 16:07:51 -0600
I must say I have enjoyed the introductions, although reading them all takes up a lot of time.  It is especially good to hear from the lurkers.

1) Who Are You?

Bill Lockhart * Although I teach sociology at the Alamogordo campus of New Mexico State University, my heart is in historical archaeology, especially bottles.  I was a late bloomer, worked as an MP, Wells Fargo armored truck guard, instructor for El Paso Security Academy, Pepsi-Cola route salesman, had my own landscaping business, taxi driver (much more), then I went to college at the age of 44.  After odd jobs in archaeology for a couple of years, I settled into teaching.  I got involved in bottle research accidentally as an undergrad in 1991, and events conspired to keep me there.  I'm not exactly a lurker, but I rarely chime in except on bottle issues.

Look for a new book on glass manufacturer's marks from the Bottle Research Group within the next couple of years!

By the way, I am always interested in talking about bottles/glass with anyone.

2) Dirtiest Moment in the Field?

I'm going to approach this a bit differently.  Almost all of my fieldwork has been in the desert, with little rain.  I think the time I felt the grubbiest was when the temperature was 114 for several days in a row.  By the end of an eight-hour day, I felt like sole of one of those treaded shoes someone was complaining about.

3) Idea of a Well-Dressed Archeologist?

I'm a shorts and sandles type of guy when weather permits; Levi jeans and hiking boots at other times.  Unfortunately, I am very fair skinned, so lots and lots of sunscreen get added to my list!

Bill Lockhart
Associate Professor of Sociology
New Mexico State University
Alamogordo, NM