HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Dan Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Apr 2006 16:25:58 -0500
Sorry so late, been deep in the field:) Chickens require "grit" in their
crop/gizzard in order to sorta pre-digest their food. Sounds awfully large
for a gizzard stone to me but then again, I'm no chicken farmer, simply an
archaeologist.  I have seen ceramic sherds from a Mid-Tn site that underwent
"adaptive reuse" (a term borrowed from you architectural historians out
there:) by chickens as stones on historic sites but all I've seen were much
smaller than .5 inch and usually less than .25.  Sorry, no readily available
jpegs.  Perhaps chickens are much bigger where your site is?

Dan Allen
Cumberland Research Group, Inc.
and GRA; the Center for Historic Preservation @
Middle Tennessee State University.