HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
JAMES MURPHY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Apr 2006 16:36:05 -0400
I've seen this, too.  A 19th C. Ohio farm site yielded a small, compact cache of distinctive Flint Ridge chippage, and about 20 feet away was a single flake completely smoothed on all both surfaces and edges.

I've also noted white earthenware/semi-porcelain sherds with the broken edges thoroughly rounded by water along the dripline from barn and outbuilding eaves.

In Columbiana Co. Ohio 50 years ago there was the tale of a local farmer's wife cleaning a chicken for Sunday dinner and finding a Spanish gold coin in its craw

James L. Murphy