HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Sun, 23 Apr 2006 13:41:01 -0400
Rich,

After your first response, I raised the issue once again on ACRA and
received this reply from Tom King. I expect everyone knows Tom, so will not  bother
to introduce him. I have to say that the tone of your  reply read as defensive
and made me wonder if you are not a little too  close to the relic-collectors?
Moreover, communication threads on these  online bulletins assume a life of
their own and there is no rule that  denied me the right to slip away into
another thought or two. Idea threads often  move into different areas, such as the
connection between criminals and  artifact-hunting. While you may not like
it, the connection is apparently well  established and worth discussing.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.

<<Why in the world would anybody flame you, Ron?  I can imagine  disagreeing
with you, but the association of artifact (historic and prehistoric)
trafficking and drug trafficking is well enough established anecdotally that I  can't
imagine why anyone (without a guilty conscience) would get mad about  it.  It
was a widely reported association 15 years ago when I did a study  of
collector behavior for SAA and NPS (which never got published -- too kind to  the
collectors, I figured).  And it seems intuitively obvious; you're out  in the
woods cooking meth or something, why NOT dig up some stuff to sell?

TKing>>