HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Apr 2006 14:02:54 -0400
Allen Vegotsky wrote:

"About that time, Dr. Porter's nephew, Sidney Porter was also working
there. You may know Sidney Porter as the short story writer, O.
Henry."

In Austin, Texas, I read online, O.Henry, or William Sydney Porter was
known as a "frontier pharmacist" and fine upstanding citizen. They
hypothesize that from the now demolished prison he was sent to, from
an alleged theft while employed as a "bank teller" he had, the Ohio
Penitentiary, is where he arrived at his "nom de plume" or pen name
"O. Henry" (OH io penitENtiaRY). One of the appreciation groups there
I think may have pieces of the prison on exhibit? He later frequented
Scheffel Hall on 3rd Ave. and about 16th Street in NYC where I think
he may have been inspired to write. Many of his stories once were of
the Old West and then became more about NYC urban life. ("William
Sydney Porter United States writer of short stories whose pen name was
O. Henry (1862-1910)" WordWeb)

George Myers