HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Cranmer, Leon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Apr 2006 14:53:34 -0400

Greetings All,

I could use some help in determining the manufacture dates for two small
common jars that everyone probably has seen. I'm about to go crazy trying to
get info on these.  One is the 4 oz. cobalt blue vicks Vapo-rub jar.  The
bottom has a triangle within a triangle and an "A1." I know Vapo-rub was
introduced in 1890 and the Vicks Co. formed in 1905, but nothing on the
jars.  The second jar is also 4 oz. milk glass and has "MUSTEROLE' and
"CLEVELAND" on the bottom.  I've seen a 1913 add for Musterole, but nothing
more to speak of.  Both jars had threaded tops.  The Musterole jar had a
nice embossed tin top.  Both jars can be found on Ebay.  The farmstead these
jars are from was taken down in 1941, and I'm sure they date beyond that.  I
would just like to know when they were first manufactured, where, and by
whom. Any help would be appreciated.

Lee Cranmer
Historical Archaeologist
Maine Historic Preservation Commission