HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Mark Branstner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Apr 2006 08:32:28 -0500
Thanks to all for the comments about stoneware stacking ...  It's
pretty much what I was thinking, but I must say that I've always been
sort of surprised at the "specificity" of the salt-glazing process.
That is, how it seems to end up where its supposed to most of the
time, and how it really never seems to affect the adjacent Albany
surfaces.

Or on the other hand, is there something in the lower melting
temperature of the Albany slip clay that precludes it being
salt-glazed at all?

--

Mark C. Branstner

Illinois Transportation
Archaeological Research Program
209 Nuclear Physics Lab, MC-571
23 East Stadium Drive
Champaign, IL 61820

Phone: 217.244.0892
Fax: 217.244.7458
Cell: 517.927.4556

"There is also an artificial aristocracy founded on wealth and birth,
without either virtue or talents ... The artificial aristocracy is a
mischievous ingredient in government, and provisions should be made to
prevent its ascendancy."

- Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)