HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"K. Kris Hirst" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Dec 2005 09:31:51 -0600
Sureyya's Journey
http://archaeology.about.com/od/careerstories/a/sureyya1.htm?nl=1
22-year-old I.T. sysop Sureyya Kose has decided to change careers from
Information Technology to Archaeology. In this first report, Sureyya
describes how she discovered what she wanted to do. Part of an extensive
collection of materials in Careers in Archaeology.

Ode to Thee, Sweet Bucket Auger
http://archaeology.about.com/od/poetry/a/bucket_auger.htm
Archaeology sometimes requires digging deep holes in river valley sediments,
performed by archaeologists with a bucket auger, a screen and a pit partner.
After a while, the bucket auger is all you can think of, and so, one late
November day, with all the fondness and revulsion of the best kind, I wrote
this poem to my rickety bucket auger.

The Question of the Week is:
What kind of real-life career choices do I have with a degree in
archaeology?
http://archaeology.about.com/od/questionoftheweek/qt/career_query.htm?nl=1

Archeology v Archaeology
http://archaeology.about.com/b/a/222914.htm
I cracked open a can of worms (yum!) when I off-handedly wrote a piece on
whether people like to spell the name of our field. In response to a reader
comment, I put up a little poll. So far, archaeology has a substantial lead.
Vote early and often, and see how the majority rules in this deeply
scientific poll, with results certified by no one at all.

Top Books in Rock Art (North America)
http://archaeology.about.com/od/booksonrockart/tp/rockart.htm

Some news stories making the rounds:
German archaeologist Susanne Osthoff kidnapped in Baghdad
http://archaeology.about.com/b/a/223323.htm
Geochronological dates on the Puebla footprints reported by Silvia Gonzalez
last summer are in and shockingly ancient:
http://archaeology.about.com/b/a/223318.htm

Jobs Listed in About Indeed Since 11/21 (I'm going to do this on a weekly
basis in the future):
http://archaeology.about.com/b/a/222450.htm
Archaeologist, Salt Lake City
Field Tech, Austin Texas
Field Tech, San Francisco
Archaeologist, Metairie, Louisiana
Project manager, Kenai, Alaska
Mid- to Sr-Level Archaeologist, Sacramento CA
Research Associate, Denver
Archaeologist, Minneapolis
Archaeologist, Phoenix
Archaeologist, Metairie, Louisiana
Archaeologist, New Orleans, Louisiana
Archaeologist, Vernal, Utah
Associate Publisher, Archaeology magazine
Archaeologist, Salt Lake City, Utah

Thanks for reading, and feel free to pass it along.

Kris

K. Kris Hirst
About Archaeology
http://archaeology.about.com
www.About.com

About.com is part of The New York Times Company