HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Nov 2005 16:58:05 -0500
I was reading through some words in Herman Hesse's titles of his
watercolors and came across a list of "Idioms for Windows" list
between Brit sh English and German. Idioms are the hardest part to get
learning another language. One of them in regards to this topic is the
English "To bite the bullet" which in the German equivalent(?) is "to
bite the apple" (perhaps from the story of Adam and Eve?).

There were "abolitionist tokens" found in a "water control feature" of
the Lower Eastside of New York City, once very close to the shore and
shipbuilding, though referred to as coins that I thought unlike "bar
tokens" (good for one drink at Moe's) the abolitionist coinage was to
confound the everyday citizen with the cause of eliminating slavery
from the United States. The film "Batteries Not Included" by Steven
Spielberg, et al was filmed on the then empty lot, to be housing and
housing police headquarters. One of the nearby shipbuilders became a
naval architecture college, over on Long Island, NY, Webb Institute,
"Located in Glen Cove, NY on the Long Island Sound, Webb Institute is
a unique, top-ranked undergraduate institution offering only one
major: Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering." There was even a
floating church that used to stop along the "forest of masts" the East
River was, prevailing winds and current always got one out and about
without a tow.

Working in the field, (crossing a picket line I might add) often the
artifacts are known least by the people who were part of the
excavation.

Some "two cents"

George Myers