HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Sean Dunham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Nov 2005 09:44:54 -0500
I do a lot of survey work for the forest service and other agencies in
northern Michigan and Wisconsin - in heavily forested environments.  We
regularly use aerial photographs as part of our survey strategy.  We use
older aerials, ca. late 1930s, as well as more modern aerials.  The
older aerials are used to identify former forest openings that may be
associated with sites as well as old trails, roads, and rail road grades
(there is a very high correlation between transportation features and
historic sites in this region).  Despite the forest cover, sometimes
structures are visible on these photos.  More modern infrared or
leaf-off aerials also help with identifying roads, trails and grades
that do not appear on the maps.  I also use these to help identify
geographic features, such as old Great sake shorelines or river oxbows,
that have potential for prehistoric sites.  In other words, aerial
photographs are a critical part of our survey practices in the north
woods of the Midwestern United States.

Cheers,

Sean Dunham

Sean B. Dunham, RPA
Commonwealth Cultural Resources Group, Inc.
Phone:  517-788-3550 / FAX:  517-788-6594
e-mail:  [log in to unmask]
http://www.ccrginc.com