HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Wed, 9 Nov 2005 16:22:19 +0000
--- Barbara Hickman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Paul, are you familiar with Nicholas Orme's Medieval
> Children? I was
> wondering what other people thought about it.
> Barbara Hanawalt's books
> on childhood are okay, albeit brief. BJH

I remember liking it a lot, since it was one of the
first books I'd read to talk about children even when
the material under examination was almost all written
by adults. That was why I had liked Finucase's The
Rescue of the Innocents: endangered children in
medieval miracles. Other books that were quite good
(and breaking away from the Aries or de Mause ideas on
childhood) were Alexandre-Bidou, D., Lett, D.,
Children in the Middle Ages (engl. trans. 1999);
Herlihy, D., Medieval Households (1985), and Herlihy,
D., Tuscans and their families : a study of the
Florentine catasto of 1427 (1985).

Since we're talking about children in general and not
just in the period covered by historical archaeology,
I'd like to add J. Neils and J.H. Oakley (eds.) Coming
of Age in Ancient Greece: images of childhood from the
classical past, which is probably the best book on
children in ancient Greece at the moment (and the
catalogue has some toys too).

There are several books on Roman children - the work
of Beryl Rawson is the most important (especially
Children and Childhood in Roman Italy) and there's a
new book by J.D. Uzzi, Children in the Visual Arts of
Imperial Rome, which I haven't read yet, but should be
interesting.

Olympia