HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
James Brothers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Nov 2005 23:03:26 -0500
Never ever go swimming on a military base that has an artillery or
tank range. Standard practice for years was to dump unexpended ammo
in the lake rather than turn it in. The folks who run ammo dumps are
totally anal when it comes to turning in unfired ammo, unless it is
sealed boxes or pallets. Once the seals are broken you have entered
one of the circles of hell and turn in can take hours. The result,
all too often, is unexpended ammo gets dumped. Lakes are convenient.
But even dry land is good enough for some people. I once reconed a
firing point at Ft AP Hill, VA and found a couple of hundred live
20mm cannon shells and 40mm grenades that had been dumped by a
helicopter.