HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Wed, 5 Oct 2005 08:24:44 -0500
There are several sizes of percussion caps and Musket caps (which look
more like a top hat)

History of the Percussion cap
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percussion_cap

How it works
http://inventors.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://www.silcom.com/%257Evikman/isles/scriptorium/firearm/percussion.html

Scientific American 1869
http://www.researchpress.co.uk/firearms/shaw.htm

Basic description of different locks for the novice
http://www.hunting101.com/gunsandbows/muzzle/the%20complete%20hunter%20muzzleloading001.htm

That should get you started.

Smoke.

--
Smoke Pfeiffer
845 Cagle Rock Road

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
---Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoanalysis---