HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carol Serr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jun 2005 17:25:57 -0700
I use it all the time...and don't know what I'd do without it...or the
net in general...as a major research tool (mostly for early 20th cent.
items).  But I always check other sources.  I often start the ID process
at ebay...then once I have the full name of the embossing, etc (since we
often only have a frag with partial mark)...I can search more deeply
from there....on other sources, etc.  Recently we had a frag of a
milkglass lamp globe...'modern'...and by creative searching...I managed
to find the Exact item on ebay...several were for sale actually...and
with the Corning model #. !!  Then I searched out and contacted the
Corning Glass museum research person...who provided me with more details
and dates!

I can also attest to the addiction! And the patience needed to go thru
numerous pages of possibilities.  Some times while searching...I
discover items (Depression ware patterns, etc) of other items we have
frags of...that I wasn't even looking up at that time.  That is always a
wonderful surprise.  I search for ceramic patterns and makers
marks...again, since we usually only have partial amts of the whole
item.  Of course I don't even think about 'value'...so that is
meaningless to me.  I did all my searching without even joining ebay
(until recently urged to, tho I don't intend to buy...or sell).

I have used ebay to find plow parts, spark plugs, a milk glass bird
feeder (I had NO idea what it was, but scrolled thru all the pages of
milkglass items and found one exactly like ours! - whole, in this case),
and many other bizare things.  The first time I thot to use ebay as a
IDing tool was when our crew came back from the field (5 yrs ago) with a
crockery frag with the partial mark (script) on the body of "ike It".  I
fortuitously ID'd it as a horseradish crock for "As You Like It" brand
(?).  But the auction ended in 2 days...so the timing was just right.
Had they found it 7 days prior...I wouldn't have discovered what it was
(and may have giving up searching).   And even when an auction is old
(over)...I still check the "cached" version...in hopes that a pic is
still available.

Yes...I am an internet addict.  :o)

Never would have thot someone would do a paper on the process tho.
Interesting.