HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Joe Dent <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Jun 2005 19:35:29 -0700
on 6/10/05 10:40 AM, Ron May at [log in to unmask] wrote:

> Lauren,
>
> Did you check for chemicals after exposing the burials or have a haz mat plan
> before entering the field? I say this because most people digging in
> cemeteries do not think out the consequences until after the fact. I excavated
> a 18th
> and early 19th century cemetery and no one ever told us to do anything
> special. That was in 1968 and I am still alive, so I assume there were no
> chemicals.
>
> Ron
Ron -  I'm not an expert, but I was told (by Larry Angel at Smithsonian - an
expert) chemicals become much more common at time of Civil War when they
became more concerned with preserving bodies for longer periods of time so
that they could get remains back to kin.  In that regard, arsenic was the
major preservative.  That said, I'm fairly sure I helped excavate an 18th
century human interment in Annapolis that was coated with a powder that I
presume to be that chemical.... Perhaps, however, you missed the experience
with your burials.

On the matter of archaeological features as disease vectors, we had early
19th century privy matrix tested in Annapolis during excavation and the big
diseases of the era were not present.  I believe Bob Sonderman (NPS)
initiated this with that particular privy at Reyolds Tavern, and he might
recollect more on the tests.

Joe Dent
American University