HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Wed, 1 Jun 2005 00:17:43 -0400
Judy,

I am writing to ask you to send a letter to the mayor of the City of San
Diego urging him not to terminate funding for the Historic Resources Board. It has
existed since 1973 and has landmarked more than 600 historic and archaeology
sites in San Diego. This is the board that oversees signficant historical
buildings. It is a National Park Service, Certified Local Government and screens
National Register nominations for the SHPO. Loss of the landmarking program
will be devastating.

In 1992, the City of San Diego embarked on developing the warehouse district
into a new baseball park. They spent $millions and demolished more than 80% of
the warehouse district. A citizen organization sued and won the right to have
historic surveys (conducted by Wayne Donaldson, who has since been appointed
the California SHPO). As the economy went into the toilet, the mayor and
council at that time voted to under fund the retirees pension fund. Now they are
$1.8 billion in the hole and six members of the pension fund have been indicted
for corruption and the mayor has resigned. In this chaos, the City Manager has
recommended saving money by terminating the staffing for the Historic
Resources Board. The impact will be devastating.

Your success in Florida is reason enough for me to request your help. Would
you send a letter on our behalf? Send to:

Mayor Dick Murphy
City of San Diego
202 C Street
San Diego, CA 92101