HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Michiel Bartels <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Oct 2004 21:56:35 +0200
-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: mbartels [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Verzonden: zondag 10 oktober 2004 21:54
Aan: [log in to unmask]
Onderwerp: FW: Tavern Archaeology

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: mbartels [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Verzonden: zondag 10 oktober 2004 19:45
Aan: 'HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY'
Onderwerp: RE: Tavern Archaeology

Dear Sharon,

Not in the USA but in the Netherlands (Europe) a thesis came to light last
year concerning this subject. It discusses the archaeological remains in
cesspits, the ground plan of the tavern and the probate inventories of the
tavern in the (late) 18th c. It also shows an insight on the drinking habits
of the Dutch. A nice bit of is the introduction of tea and coffee in the
daily life and in the pub. The data comes  from five pubs, De Visscher (the
Fishermen)  in Vlaardingen (near Rotterdam) and four Inns from Delft.
It has quite a large amount of pictures and drawings and also nice art
historical references to oil paintings and etchings etc.

The publication is by

Cora A. LAAN,
Drank en drinkgerei, archeologisch e cultuurhistorisch onderzoek naar de
allendaagse drinkcultuur van de 18de eeuwse Hollanders.
Published by De Bataafsche Leeuw in Amsterdam NL in 2003
ISBN 90-6707-557-4

There is a short  Englisg summary, the rest is in our local language.
When you want I can copy the summary and send it to you.

Many regards

Michiel Bartels
Archeologie Deventer
PO Box 5000