From:
Lindsey Orcutt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 19:07:15 -0800
Allan Gotthelf wrote:

>I recently acquired and have been listening to Radu Lupu's Sonatas 8,
>14 and 21, on Belart.  Although I generally don't like attempts to equate
>slow playing with profundity, I do think his rather slow performances are
>*very* effective in drawing out aspects of the music's sensitivity, which
>I'd missed or saw underemphasized in some other performances.  Do others
>agree, or do you find that the slowness distorts the overall structure?

Interesting you mention this.  Glenn Gould recorded the Beethoven
Appassionata at a laughably slow tempo.  One even *I* found ludicrous as
a "serious" reading.  The scary thing, though, was that I heard things in
that recording I never would have heard, ever, possibly even if I'd been
watching the score.  Strange, isn't it??

-Lindsey Orcutt