HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 30 Aug 2006 12:59:15 -0400
From:
Freeman Little <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
I love it when ya'll talk my language. Every now and then I see
something worth a comment by myself.
As for the discussion on heart wood as we carpenters call it, it can be
had at a high price via the specialization companies that demolish, or
rather, deconstruct the older buildings especially in the south. They
extract all the heart wood and re-sell it for the obvious reasons
already stated. Termites hate it and that is why it is still in almost
new condition after over a hundred or more years.
Other building materials that are recycled to wealthier built new homes
are the solid clay bricks that are larger than most measuring about 3" x
9" x 4".
The best lumber that is full cut comes from harvests that occurred
during droughts when the sap was less and the concentric circles are
much tighter making it even more termite-proof. There are many companies
now doing this since most of the old growth trees are now either
protected by conservator groups or held for special use by the lumber
harvesting companies themselves. None of this wood is cheap whether
fresh cut or recycled. Bog wood is another resource as previously
mentioned.
These are just a few extra tidbits from the old carpenter who loves the
discourse and rarely contributes.

Paul Klose

PO Box 204144
Augusta, GA 30917