HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 20 Oct 2005 08:33:04 -0400
From:
Carole Nash <[log in to unmask]>
During World War II, various branches of the US military had

access to/set up training camps in National Parks and on

other public lands.  Formal agreements were drawn up between

the Department of War and Interior -- in some instances these

pre-dated the war.  These were not always easy alliances, as

conflicts in the missions of these Departments often erupted

over the impacts of military training on Park lands.

In Shenandoah National Park, for example, the Army Corps of

Engineers constructed an Engineer Replacement Training Center

at Big Meadows during 1943 and maintained an extensive

training program there through the fall of 1944.  After the

war ended, the agreement between the military and DOI was

terminated, in part because the Park Service refused to budge

on allowable impacts (bulldozers and Bailey Bridge

construction, for example).

Our report of the archaeological study of this camp is

forthcoming in the new Uplands Archaeology in the East

volume, which will be available at the Eastern States

Archaeological Federation meetings in Williamsburg in mid-

November.

I can't put my hands on it at the moment, but I believe that

a 2004 issue of CRM: The Journal of Heritage Stewardship has

on its cover a photo of WWII soldier at Sequoia.  Anyone have

this available?  It contains an article by Roger Kelly

entitled "America’s World War II Home Front Heritage" that

reviews uses of public lands by the military during WWII.

Carole