From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Oct 2005 09:03:20 -0600
> but now you are saying small cells eliminates AFB?

I don't know if that is the cause, but I saw no signs of AFB in Lusbys'
operation on either of my visits, and they use no drugs.  It is possible
that their bees are resistant to AFB, and if so, that could be due to a
number of factors.

Small cell is an integral part of their management, and whether small cell
selects for a bee that has this desirable characteristic in addition to
small size, or small cells present a stimulus to better hygiene, I can't
say.

Or, maybe, there just isn't any AFB contamination in the outfit since they
melted everything and started over on foundation.  That I doubt, though.  In
any large outfit in the US, AFB is going to pop up from time to time, and is
likely to break out noticeably where beekeepers don't visit the hives often,
and do not use preventative drugs.

allen