HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Tasha Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Apr 2006 21:32:58 -0400
I would actually recommend against using Maxell CDRs for long term
storage, Joe-- "PRO" type or otherwise.  I've been involved in live
music recording and trading communities for... well, for longer than
I care to admit... and Maxell CDs are notoriously unreliable and
considered by many to be unacceptable for storage and exchange of
files.  Sony CDs are close behind because the label tends to wear or
flake off quickly or after even moderate exposure to temperature
fluctuations or friction.

TDK and Fuji CDs have proven to be much more reliable and
durable.  With a collection of several hundred discs over more than a
six-year period, I've had to replace nearly all Maxell CDs and about
half of my Sonys-- and don't even get me started about Memorex!  In
contrast, I have yet to have a single TDK or Fuji CD crap out on me.

Of course, we *are* talking about different types of data and
different uses.  Yet if a serious music fan will not entrust a
favorite song to a certain brand of CD, a serious professional should
think twice before committing to that product for long term storage needs.

Just my two cents, anyway.

:) Tasha Jones