HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jeremy Pye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jan 2006 13:24:22 -0800
Sarah,

Below you will find references for all of the cemetery
reports/publications related to hospitals, almshouses,
etc, that I was able to find in the latest version of
my ever growing bibliography.

I am always looking for more cemetery reports.  Might
you know of any in your area that would be avaliable
to me.  Does Kentucky have an easily searchable site
database that might give me a listing of references
for excavated cemetery reports?

Anyway, tell us a little bit more about your project
if you can.

Jeremy Pye
University of Arkansas

--------
References – Cemetery Report that Mention Paupers,
Almshouses, Poor Farms, Asylums, or Hospitals

Bell, E. L.
	1987	The Historical Archaeology of Mortuary Behavior
at a Nineteenth-Century Almshouse Burial Ground.
Unpublished MA Thesis. Boston University.  Boston,
Massachusetts.

Bell, E. L.
	1990	The Historical Archaeology of Mortuary Behavior:
Coffin Hardware from Uxbridge, Massachusetts.
Historical Archaeology 24(3):54-78.

Coughtry, J., and Jay Coughtry
	1985	Black Pauper Burial Records: Providence, Rhode
Island, 1777-1831. Rhode Island History 44(1):108-119.

Edwards, D. M., Lori Hager, and Robert Jackson
	2005	Former Sacramento County Hospital Burial Ground
Excavation, University of California Davis Medical
Center, Radiation Oncology Expansion Project. Pacific
Legacy, Inc., Cameron Park, California.  Prepared for
the University of California Davis Medical Center,
Sacramento, California.

Elia, R. J., and Al B. Wesolowsky (editor))
	1991	Archaeological Excavations at the Uxbridge
Almshouse Burial Ground in Uxbridge, Massachusetts.
BAR International Series 564. Tempus Reparatum:
Archaeological and Historical Associates Limited,
Oxford, England.

Elia, R. J.
	1986	Death and Burial at a 19th-Century Almshouse.
Context 5(1-2

King, M. K.
	1987	Intensive Archaeological Survey of New Rest
Haven Historic Cemetery Site at the Deer Island House
of Corrections, Boston, Massachusetts. The Public
Archaeology Laboratory, Inc., Providence, Rhode
Island.  Submitted to Camp Dresser & McKee Inc.,
Boston, Massachusetts.

Lanphear, K. M.
	1988	Health and Mortality in a Nineteenth Century
Poorhouse Skeletal Sample. Unpublished Ph.D.
Dissertation. State University of New York at Albany.
Albany, New York.

Owsley, D. W., Mary H. Manhein, and Murray K. Marks
	1987	Burial Archaeology and Osteology of Charity
Hospital/Cypress Grove II Cemetery, New Orleans.
Report of Investigations (Progress Report I).
Department of Geography & Anthropology, Louisiana
State University, Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Report on
File at the the Department of Anthropology, National
Museum of Natural History, Smithsonian Institution,
Washington D.C.

Overstreet, D. F., and Keith A. Sverdrup
1993Archaeological and Remote Sensing Investigations
at Windsor Court and West Wisconsin Avenue, Milwaukee
County Medical Complex, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin.
Great Lakes Archaeological Research Center, Inc.,
Milwaukee, Wisconsin.  Prepared for Milwaukee County
Medical Complex, Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
Painter, M., Ann L. Magennis, Christian J. Zier, Nell
Mitchell,

Lawrence B, Conyers, and John D. Kennedy
	2002	Archaeological and Osteological Investigations
of Cemetery 2 on the Grounds of the Colorado Mental
Health Institute at Pueblo, Pueblo County, Colorado.
Centennial Archaeology, Inc. and Colorado State
University, Fort Collins, Colorado.

Pye, J. W., Holly C. Smith, and Donna C. Roper
	2004	Excavations at the Meadowlark Cemetery,
Manhattan. Current Archaeology in Kansas 5:77-92.

Richards, P. B., and Matthias W. Kastell
	1993 	Archaeological Excavations at the Almshouse
Burial Ground, Milwaukee County Poorhouse, Wauwatosa,
Wisconsin. 2 vols. Great Lakes Archaeological Research
Center, Inc., Report of Investigations, Number 333.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin.  Prepared for Milwaukee County
Department of Public Works, Professional Services
Division, Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

Richards, P. B.
	1997	Unknown Man No. 198: The Archaeology of the
Milwaukee County Poor Farm Cemetery. Unpublished Ph.D.
Dissertation. The University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

Tiné, A. L., Judy Cooper, and Michelle Wurtz
	2002	Archaeological and Bioarchaeological
Investigations at Potter's Field/Greenwood Cemetery
Along Clyde Lane, Dallas, Texas. Geo-Marine, Inc.,
Micellaneous Reports of Investigations, Number 241.
Plano, Texas.  Prepared for the City of Dallas,
Dallas, Texas.