Reply To:
HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Oct 2005 14:09:30 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (56 lines)
I found a bunch of those (cute) little (actually 6 cm tall; 1/8 oz) bottles in a drainage while working on Camp Pendleton Marine Base back in 1993, so apparently some Marines didn't care to use it (on whatever their meal was?).  Not that we get much rain here in San Diego Co...but I imagine this drainage would get enough water rushing down it each winter, to wash away these bottles...so they probably weren't there too long.

The sauce (yes, I took one) isnt very appealing looking now...lost it's redness.  The back of the label reads: Packed for MRE by Trans-Packers Services Corp. Bklyn, NY 11222 (their abbrev.).  But my bottle has a far more plain label than the example I found online. ?

I found this info, below.  Interesting how they are included in "one out of every 4 MRE kits"... ??  I just assumed they'd be included with certain entrees....but guess that would take too much time, to figure that out.  Ha ha.

Here's more on those teeny bottles...if ya wanted to know:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabasco_sauce
Tabasco Inc does not advertise its long history with the US Military. Brigadier General McIlhenny USMCR, a WW2 veteran and winner of the Navy Cross, was president of the McIlhenny Tabasco Sauce Company until his death in 1985. He started a trend of attempted improvement in combat rations during the Vietnam war with the publication of "The Charlie Ration Cookbook" (Charlie ration is slang for the field meal given to troops). This cookbook came wrapped around a two-ounce bottle of Tabasco Sauce and a few can openers. The cookbook included instructions on how to mix C-rations to make such concoctions as "Combat Canapés" or "Breast of chicken under bullets."

In the 1990s during Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm a new edition of the cookbook were printed called the "The Unofficial MRE Recipe Booklet," It was offered free of charge to US Troops and families who had loved ones in the service. Miniature Tabasco bottles were also included in one out of every four MRE kits. U.S. soldiers wrote dozens of letters either thanking McIlhenny Company for the sauce or requesting more. As a result, Tabasco miniatures are now included in most MRE kits.

Most recently, during Operation Enduring Freedom, a group of soldiers in Afghanistan used miniature Tabasco bottles to decorate their Christmas tree. Some soldiers use the bottles to make chess sets while others while out in the field will put the tabasco source in their eyes to stay awake while during sentry duty. Many Allied Troopers have returned the miniature bottles to McIlhenny Company filled with soil from local camps and bases.
Tabasco's relations to the military extend beyond combat situations. The U.S. Navy/Marine Corps lists over 400 mess halls where Tabasco is found on the table. Tabasco is found on the table of every Officer Mess in the U.S. Marine Corps. Tabasco Sauce was also used on Skylab by NASA to adress astronauts' complaints about bland rations. Tabasco is often used in space, both on the International Space Station and during shuttle missions.

>-----Original Message-----
>From: David Babson [mailto:[log in to unmask]] 
>Sent: Sunday, October 23, 2005 8:34 PM
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: Frozen Dead Soldier at Sequoia National Park
>
>
>The small (c. 3cm tall) clear glass Tabasco Brand Pepper Sauce 
>bottles found in contemporary military bivouac areas are from 
>MRE (Meals Ready to Eat) packages, and are placed there under 
>a contract existing between the Tabasco Pepper Sauce Company 
>and the Department of Defense.  I believe they have been in 
>MREs since soon after MREs replaced C-rations, perhaps around 
>1980.  I'm not sure if they are still part of MRE packages 
>today, or if they are in all MREs, or only some MREs. 
>Information on Tabasco Brand Pepper Sauce bottles is contained in:
>
>Orser, Charles E., Jr. and David W. Babson
>	1990 	Tabasco Brand Pepper Sauce Bottles from Avery Island,
>Louisiana.  Historical Archaeology 24(3):107-114.
>
>My apologies, but without a copy of this article to hand, I 
>can't remember whether or not we discussed the small MRE 
>bottles, which rather post-date the 19th-century origin of 
>both Tabasco Brand Pepper Sauce and its patented bottles.
>
>D. Babson.
>
>
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On 
>Behalf Of George Myers
>Sent: Friday, October 21, 2005 9:30 PM
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: Frozen Dead Soldier at Sequoia National Park
>
> How about those tiny Tabasco bottles? TPQ on them?
>

ATOM RSS1 RSS2