HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carol Serr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Sep 2005 11:04:41 -0700
Hi Sean,

I (in my ignorance) had never heard of this, but it makes sense...and
could be helpful, I suppose.  So...I went searching...and did find a
reference to Rathje's study...  "the Garbage Project constructed a
"pull-tab typology" for Tucson, AZ. (You can see it for yourself in the
May 1991 National Geographic, page 131.)"
http://www.mswmanagement.com/msw_0012_beyond.html

Interesting article (the above link) that the above citation came from.

"In fact, archaeologist Stan South once used the density of pull-tabs to
determine the relative popularity of different campsites and trails in
parks."

Well, cant find anything else quickly...but maybe someone else knows.
If you do find a reference other than Rathje's...could you let me know?
Thanks.

Carol