HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carol Serr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Aug 2005 13:01:14 -0700
Yes, I suppose that would be true.  I didn't really say at what location
the recording was done.  But the records being transcribed are located
at (or were) Ellis Is.  Many of the ships left from France, Spain, or
England (I think)...so, 1) the handwriting would be European - hence,
unlike modern American writing and I presume unfamilar to many/most of
the volunteer transcribers of today...and 2) the person making the list
may not be too literate...and not familiar with spelling names not from
their country, even tho most Europeans know more than one language.  The
writing on the documents I saw does look "European"...and that is a
great part of the problem for being unable to decipher some of  it.
And, the people giving their name and city of origin may not have been
literate...so guessed at the spelling also!