HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Ryan Gray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Mar 2005 17:31:48 -0800
Hello all,

The Washington janitor referred to in the previous
message is James Hampton, and his work is "The Throne
of the Third Heaven of the Nation's Millenium General
Assembly".

http://www.geocities.com/ctesibos/hampton/throne.html

If you're ever at the Smithsonian, check it out, as it
is amazing.

More to the point, there is an ever-growing art
history-related literature on visionary 'art'
environments that I think would be very relevant to
your situation (including some about works by Italian
immigrants like Rodia). Two obvious starting points
are the book Gardens of Revelation by John Beardsley
and the archives of the magazine Raw Vision. I'm
curious as to how your work progresses, particularly
as it could be relevant to NRHP issues here in the
States. Perhaps landscape archaeology could assist as
a tool in preservation efforts for such environments.

Good luck!

Ryan Gray

http://www.greatbuildings.com/buildings/Watts_Towers.html

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1511/is_n2_v19/ai_20159539

> 3) I ran across something recently about a janitor
> in Washington, DC, who
> after his death was discovered to have built
> elaborate miniature buildings
> in a rented garage from tinfoil scraps (references
> to that one escape me,
> though).
>
> Good Luck
>
> LJ Cook