HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Marty Pickands <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 2004 17:08:25 -0500
Jim, at the time you visited my site in Parishville Center, NY with
Marty Snye and Ken Schwarz, the group of you agreed that the forge scale
feature in front of the stone forge base indicated that I was very near
the anvil post-hole. Indeed, I later found it covered by scale that had
washed over it, presumably after the shop was dismantled. It was at arms
length from the front of the forge and to the right, and looked almost
exactly like what Dan described. It was surprisingly shallow.

The Parishville Center shop floor was largely dirt. profiles showed
that traffic had hollowed out the floor into a shallow basin and the
smith's feet had worn a "trackway" between  the anvil and, presumably,
the vise. The floor had been resurfaced at least once and the shop
enlarged. The charcoal pile was then moved to the new end of the shop
and both fuel piles were clearly visible as lense-shaped features. Some
areas had had a partial wooden floor. The shoeing floor was identifiable
from the large concentration of nails and relatively large concentration
of discarded shoes.

The adjacent wagon shop had had a very substantial wooden floor, made
of planks six inches thick. This shop also had a forge. Both shops also
had heating stoves identified by mortared brick concentrations. The
forge bricks had no mortar, but had patches of fireclay on them
instead.

>>> Timothy James Scarlett <[log in to unmask]> 11/05/04 03:47PM >>>
I agree with Chris! Also Daniel- I've noticed several examples of metal
or
brick covers overtop of wooden floor boards to protect them.  What in
your
excavation provides you with such clues?
Tim Scarlett

--
I'm using Huskymail, so I'm not at my desktop!