HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Annie Gray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Oct 2004 05:31:08 -0700
Teagan -

I remember discussing this with you in Newport.  I've just completed my own dissertation on the
historical archaeology of food, 1750-1850, if those dates overlap with your proposed period of
study.  York Uni will have a copy if you want the full version, but if you mail me off the list I can
send you the bibliography.  Given the scope of my study (MA, not PhD), I did not cover the zoo-
arch aspects of food archaeology, which, as the replies you've already had suggest, are the main
ones studied.  I do, however, have those scanty references which exist for looking at meaning
within tableware, table layouts etc.

For now I'll pick out some highlights:
-Goodwin, L (1999) An Archaeology of Manners: The Polite World of the Merchant Elite of Colonial
Massachusetts.  New York: Kulwer Academic/Plenum Press,
-Mennell, S (1996) All Manners of Food. Urbana: University of Illinois Press; and
-Jameson, R (1987) ‘Purity and Power at the Victorian Dinner Party’, in I Hodder (ed.) The
Archaeology of Contextual Meanings. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 55-65.
-Young L (2003) Middle Class Culture in the Nineteenth Century: America, Australia, Britain.
Basingstoke: Palgrave (Macmillan) will also be very useful from an approach viewpoint.
-Check out Petits Propos Culinaires, esp. Samuel, D (1996) ‘Approaches to the Archaeology of
Food’, Petits Propos Culinaires 54, 12-21.
-Much of what Peter Brown and Peter Brears have written is very useful archaeologically, and
invaluable for research.

It's worth looking at the publications of the Oxford Symposium on Food and Cookery and the
Leeds Symposium on Food History.  Mainly descriptive/narrative, but some of it is very useful.  It
all rather depends on exactly what you want to look at though.

There was also a conference in Sheffield in April on The Table, which covered various aspects of
food and dining.  The conference details have been taken off the web now, but if you contact
James Symonds then I am sure he can point you in the right direction.  The papers are due to be
published sometime next year.

Hope this is of aid.

Annie Gray

PLB Ltd