HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 2004 14:06:11 +0000
Perhaps my book published on this very issue may prove useful.  In spite of its title, "Colonial Virginia's Cooking Dynasty," the book ideals with archaeology at 17th and 18th- century Curles plantation (near Richmond, Virginia), the overall
history of early Virginia as well as site-specific history of Curles, social
prescriptions, influence of frontier conditions and cultures on Virginian foods
 touches of human comedy and food remains found at the site.

Initially, the site was the home of Thomas Harris (1635) and then that of Nathaniel Bacon the Rebel (1670s) before it became the home of Richard Randloph and wife Jane Bolling (a descendant of Pocahontas).
Their house was originally in a small and simple house which was later converted into the living quarters of the enslaved cook and kitchen.  The archaeological site at Curles is discussed in detail, showing the connection between the family's growth and the archaeological record.  A site plan of Curles is included, illustrating its expansion over time as revealed through the archaeological work conducted by Dr. L. Daniel Mouer several years ago.

The first part of the book discusses the social prescriptins and social modes that determined behavior and choices of foods on the table.  The second third of the book then discusses the categories and history of foods as well as the influence of British, French, Indian and African cultures on the early Virginian cookery.  The last third of the book reproduces the recipes as found from the two related culinary manuscripts. One, dated c. 1700, was first copied from an earlier manuscript by a yet unknown author. The other cookbook, by Jane [Bolling] Randolph, was initially written during the years 1737-1743.)

The last third of the book deals with the recipes themselves as found in  two historical manuscripts, one by Jane Randolph.  One early recipe, for example, is the brawn of a hogs head.  If you are interested in the book, it is published by the University of South Carolina Press, is available online as well as through bookstores such as Barnes and Noble, Borders, et al.

Katharine E. Harbury
P.O. Box 2098
Mechanicsville, VA 23116