HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Alicia Paresi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Apr 2004 10:07:13 -0400

Practicality is stopping and thinking before doing.  Employing the use of

chemicals or household cleansers on a stone with the justification that the

stone will inevitably be destroyed some day is a ridiculous argument.

You scoff at digital photography, but a photograph may be the only way 40

pieces can be properly reconstructed to resemble the original gravestone.

An inscription gleaned from shaving cream won’t be nearly as helpful.

“Purty” tombstones only stay that way from the efforts people who care to

protect them.  If a stone will some day be knocked over by a 16-year old

then such is life.  Until then, we can do our best to safeguard cemeteries

by educating ourselves and the public.

We teach by example.

Alicia Paresi Friedman

Archeologist

National Park Service

                      Larry Porter

                      <lporter@AR-DIGIT        To:       [log in to unmask]

                      .NET>                    cc:       (bcc: Alicia Paresi/Boston/NPS)

                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Re: safe gravestone rubbing

                      HISTORICAL

                      ARCHAEOLOGY

                      04/13/2004 09:05

                      PM EST

                      Please respond to

                      HISTORICAL

                      ARCHAEOLOGY

I couldn't agree more, Jeff. As archeologists we routinely, without a

second

thought, destroy archeological sites.....UTTERLY destroy archeological

sites.... on the self righteous premise that we are saving the information

they contain and, yet, at the same time, wring our hands and moan and fret

and worry about whether or not a little shaving cream is going to damage a

damn tombstone. From the point of view of pragmatism and practicality,

qualities we archeologists seem curiously lacking in, it seems to me the 5

minutes a tombstone is exposed to shaving cream, Cool Whip, flour, talcom

powder, or what have you is worth the risk in light of the very real

possibility that tomorrow a 16 year old on a 4 wheeler is going to knock

the

stone over for the sheer hell of it or your neighbor down the road is going

to decide that "purty" tombstone would sure look good in his patio. Even

digital photography with oblique side lighting ain't going do you much good

on a stone that's been broken into 40 pieces and scattered all over hell

and

gone. I say break out the Cool Whip and squeegee and get the information

while you can.