HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Alicia Paresi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 2004 09:56:23 -0400

Many have pointed out the obvious disadvantages and potential damage that

can incur while doing a gravestone rubbing.  Flour, shaving cream and the

like should never be used. Any method employed used should be non-invasive

and all conservation work must be completely reversible. Unfortunately many

stones are testament to the fact that the public has not been properly

educated on this subject.  However, it is from some of these mishaps that

we have learned so much.  Educating the public and preserving these

valuable artifacts is the very mission of the Association for Gravestone

Studies.

This year, the AGS annual conference will be held from June 24-27, 2004 at

Western Connecticut State University in Danbury, CT.  On Thursday there

will be a half-day workshop on gravestone rubbing.  The AGS also offers

leaflets on the techniques of "Photographing Gravestones” and "Making

Photographic Records of Gravestones."

Alicia Paresi Friedman

Archeologist

National Park Service

                      Gordon Grimwade

                      <ggrimwade@AUSTAR        To:       [log in to unmask]

                      NET.COM.AU>              cc:       (bcc: Alicia Paresi/Boston/NPS)

                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Re: Safe grave stone rubbing

                      HISTORICAL

                      ARCHAEOLOGY

                      04/10/2004 09:54

                      AM ZE10

                      Please respond to

                      HISTORICAL

                      ARCHAEOLOGY

Flour could possibly a good medium for mould spores to develop.  While most

of the flour might wash away surely SOME would remain.  I have heard of

people using powdered chalk but that leaves a residue and doesn't wash off

easily. It's a no-no in my book.

Digital photography is one of the best methods I have found and, used with

oblique lighting and Photoshop, is certainly the least invasive.

On a slightly divergent note I used liquid latex moulding to record North

Queensland rainforest dendroglyphs some years ago with considerable

success.

It is a method we have since used to replicate some Chinese grave markers.

We tested the trees and the grave markers VERY carefully before applying

the

latex to make sure we didn't risk removing any bark or stone in the

process.

I have heard of others using latex for rock carving; although there is one

case I heard of where it was not tested first.  The latex took the carving

with it!  Given that, and knowing the soft nature of some gravestones

(particularly sandstone) it would need to be used with EXTREME care.

The advantage with the tree documentation project was that it gave us a

clear copy, showed regrowth at a specific point in time (OK, that is not

really relevant to gravestones, I know) and it also meant we could play

with

oblique lighting at will back in the lab rather than in a damp forest miles

from good lighting sources.  Filtered sunlight in a tropical forest is not

really very helpful.

If anyone is interested in this method we did write it up in Australian

Archaeology in 1995: ŒMoulding and Casting Aboriginal Carved Trees of the

Wet Tropics¹ Grimwade G.P.N., K.Mickan, A.Darroch; Australian Archaeology

Journal.No 41, pp15 ­ 21.

Gordon Grimwade

on 9/4/04 11:39 PM, Laura West at [log in to unmask] wrote:

> What kind of bugs, visible and invisible, would that flour draw to the

> surface of the stone? Just a thought.

> Laura West

> M&S Engineering, Ltd.

> 6477 FM 311

> P.O. Box 970

> Spring Branch, Texas 78070

> ________________________________

cemeteries

> in the area and found that by dusting the surface of a gravestone with

flour

> the lettering was much easier to read.  This method had the advantage of

> being effective, inexpensive, and environmentally friendly.  The stones

were

> automatically cleaned the next time it rained.  We also took digital

photos

> before applying the flour.  Manipulating the images (e.g. adjusting the

> brightness and contrast) in Photoshop was helpful in making the

inscriptions