HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 17 Apr 2007 16:06:18 +0800
From:
Gaye Nayton <[log in to unmask]>
In Western Australia I have worked on conservation plans for two dams with a
third about to be done. All have have substandial 'tent' villages and
workers villages associated with building them. The social acheaology of the
landscape created is quite fascinating.

In the water, Mundaring Weir had both a railway line and the bottom of the
quarry used for dam construction. Both were just left and due to drought
have now been exposed. A fourth, later, dam in the Southwest drowned part of
a government run 'model' timber town but not the mill itself. The houses
were taken away to be used elsewhere but the sites remain and are
approachable in summer.

Gaye