HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 29 Sep 2006 06:10:44 -0700
From:
Paul Scotton <[log in to unmask]>
8bit
What puzzles me is you began your introduction by
maligning a faculty, a discipline, and an institution but
we now learn that you never studied with the principals at
that institution in the subject of your professed interest
and expressed disappointment.

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 08:43:35 -0400
  Meli Diamanti <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Ok, so some of you want to know more about my time at
>Penn (Univ. of Pennsylvania, to any outsiders)
>Firstly, I was a student in the Anthropology department,
>so I didn't study with Young, or DeVries, or White. If I
>remember correctly (3 decades ago), there was also
>archaeology in the Classical studies or Oriental studies
>department (I forget what they called it, or whether
>there were both) and in American Civilizations (they dug
>Ben Franklin's Court).  There may even have been some
>archaeology in the History department, for all I know.
> Since my interest turned from Greece to Mesoamerica, I
>stayed in the Anthropology Department.
> But that was one of the things that bothered me most,
>that there was not one unified archaeology program.  This
>criticism applies not only to Penn, but also to programs
>at other schools.  Now I realize that situation is a
>reflection of other divisions, such as the division
>between Historical and Industrial archaeology also
>currently being discussed on this list.  But at the time,
>as a newby trying to find her place in the field, I found
>the lack of communications between these various
>departments confusing and frustrating
> But please don't take any of my rants about Penn 35
>years ago as a reflection of Penn today.  I have not kept
>in touch with that school (or other academic programs)
>and encourage anyone to make their own judgements about
>what school, and what department, to best meet their
>needs.
> I'd like to see some intros from non-American members of
>the list.  What was their training/background like in
>other parts of the world?
>
> Meli Diamanti
> Archaeological & Historical Consultants, Inc.

Paul D. Scotton
Associate Professor of Classical Archaeology
Classics
California State University
1250 N. Bellflower Blvd.
Long Beach, CA 90840-2404