HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 29 Sep 2006 08:43:35 -0400
From:
Meli Diamanti <[log in to unmask]>
Ok, so some of you want to know more about my time at Penn (Univ. of
Pennsylvania, to any outsiders)
Firstly, I was a student in the Anthropology department, so I didn't
study with Young, or DeVries, or White.
If I remember correctly (3 decades ago), there was also archaeology in
the Classical studies or Oriental studies department (I forget what they
called it, or whether there were both) and in American Civilizations
(they dug Ben Franklin's Court).  There may even have been some
archaeology in the History department, for all I know.  Since my
interest turned from Greece to Mesoamerica, I stayed in the Anthropology
Department.
But that was one of the things that bothered me most, that there was not
one unified archaeology program.  This criticism applies not only to
Penn, but also to programs at other schools.  Now I realize that
situation is a reflection of other divisions, such as the division
between Historical and Industrial archaeology also currently being
discussed on this list.  But at the time, as a newby trying to find her
place in the field, I found the lack of communications between these
various departments confusing and frustrating
But please don't take any of my rants about Penn 35 years ago as a
reflection of Penn today.  I have not kept in touch with that school (or
other academic programs) and encourage anyone to make their own
judgements about what school, and what department, to best meet their needs.
I'd like to see some intros from non-American members of the list.  What
was their training/background like in other parts of the world?

Meli Diamanti
Archaeological & Historical Consultants, Inc.