HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 2006 13:25:24 -0400
From:
"Robert L. Schuyler" <[log in to unmask]>
Just to point out that the Classical Archaeology Program at Penn is NOT
part of the historical archaeology concentration under anthropology at
Penn. Also some of my classical colleagues are now quite "anthropological".
Barbara Hayden, for example, who has worked for years in Crete doing large
areal surveys covers not only classical period sites but also those from
the period of control by Venice and then the Ottoman Empire, right up to
the present (ethnoarchaeology).

I am about to go to class where we are reading Anders Andren's excellent
book [which I disagree with - agenda] and he points out that after 1900
when Classical Archaeology lost one of its foundations because of the rise
of modern art, architecture and literature, the field did one of three
things: (1) continue to do a traditional Art History approach (examples for
the present), (2) redefine Art History as a type of symbolic analysis, or
(3) radically change the field to take an holistic, cultural approach
(either borrowing from current History (e.g. soical history, economic
history, 'history fromt he bottom up' etc.) or borrowing from anthropology).

Classical Archaeology has changed a lot in the last 25 years, even at Penn.

                                 Bob Schuyler

At 12:21 PM 9/28/2006, you wrote:
>Please accept my apologies.  I did not mean to diss any of the work
>being done "across the pond."  Yes, I meant classical archaeology, not
>all of Old World archaeology.  But I was also speaking of what was being
>taught at the University of Pennsyvlania in the early 1970's - which was
>not even current with developments in the field AT THAT TIME, let alone
>now.  I managed to stick with archaeology despite my frustrations with
>the program at Penn, and went on to a much better and broader and more
>up-to-date education at the Pennsylvania State University (NOT the same
>thing as Univ. of Pennsylvania) in the later 1970s and 1980s.
>Meli Diamanti
>

>Paul Scotton wrote:
>
> >Apologies are not necessary but thanks.  As for "recent years", the efforts
> >in Greece by both the Greeks themselves and the foreign archaeological
> >schools had moved far beyond the Art History notion by at least as early as
> >the second decade of the 20th century.  My own efforts have been fueled by
> >the copious strategraphic records kept in field notebooks from 1914 and
> >1915.  I suspect neither of us would consider that recent.

Robert L. Schuyler
University of Pennsylvania Museum
3260 South Street
Philadelphia, PA l9l04-6324