HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 27 Apr 2006 10:58:06 -0400
From:
James Brothers <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
Geoff brings up an important point that I touched on, but did not
emphasize. As the technology changes it may render your files
unreadable. The introduction of blue laser, will result in anything
using an earlier laser as unreadable. It is for this reason that
folks who really care about digital archives store them on hard disk
and back them up/recopy them periodically. In addition every time a
new OS, or other major change to the software comes out you've got to
do it all over again. There is a window during which things are
backward compatible, but after that you may even find that your old
hard drives are unreadable.

On Apr 27, 2006, at 3:54, geoff carver wrote:

> overall, i get the feeling that, with careful storage, your media
> is going to outlive your software
> so you're going to have to set up long-term maintenance programs
> for any archive: copy & convert with every software/media update
> just like we got everything off those big ugly floppy disks and
> moved them to smaller disks, then cds, we're eventually have to
> switch to blue laser disks
> also surprised none of our british friends have mentioned the AHDS,
> the Arts & Humanities Data Service & their various guides to "good
> practice" on digital archives
> check 'em out at:
> http://www.ahds.ac.uk/

James Brothers, RPA