HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 20 Apr 2006 17:35:57 -0400
From:
Tim Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
See Ron's post below,

Ron,
Your account sounds like very old news. The level of enforcement of ARPA
does vary from Federal District Court to District, but you should take (if
you haven't alread) Judge Sherry Hutt's course on ARPA enforcement, U.
Neveda Reno, offered around the county, for a detailed listing of very
aggressive prosecution and conviction of cases of violation. Part of the
formula is whether the violation was truly a product of ignorance, or
whether a willful and knowing violation of the law, which are certainly the
majority of cases in this area, even as conservative as this district is.

The 'individual rights' argument is specious and simply an excuse for
destructive vandals. Chuck Fairbanks used to tell the pothunters in Florida
who were looting Weeden Island burial mounds onm private property, that they
should consider the fact that the New World, the Caribbean and Florida in
particular, were the source of the syphillis epidemics in Europe after 1492.
This little fib seemed to have a greater deterrent effect than all the
appeals to high-minded historical values and knowledge which fall on deaf
ears in the looter community,

Tim T.